Earning a degree in game programming and development should be considered by individuals who have a passion for gaming, and learning how games are created. Courses involved in these type of degrees typically include gameplay design, 3D graphics, stereoscopic computer graphics, contemporary video game platforms, multiplayer game design, and game physics. Having a computer that can handle the necessary components involved in video game design and development would also be very helpful. The following list includes some of the top schools where students can earn this degree, and other related degrees to help them enter the video game creation field.
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, California
• Rated by the Princeton Review multiple years in a row as having the # 1 game design program in North America.
• Students can study programs in Interactive Entertainment, Animation & Digital Arts, Cinematic Arts, Film & Television Production, Interactive Media, and Science Visualization.
• USC is not predominately a design school; they also offer many other degrees you would find at most traditional colleges.
Carnegie Mellon University
• Carnegie Mellon is a world leader in robotics
• Students can earn a Bachelor of Computer Science and Arts, which will allow students to enter fields such as robotic art, game design, and computer animation.
Savannah College of Art and Design
• Students can choose to earn degrees, certificates, major in, or minor in programs such as Interactive Design & Game Development, Interactive Design, Themed Entertainment Design, Motion Media Design, Animation, and Visual Effects.
• Other related programs include Illustration, Film & Television, Illustration Design, and Cinema Studies
• Some programs can be completed at the school's other campuses in Atlanta, Hong Kong and Lacoste, France.
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester, New York
• All programs offer both unpaid and paid internships.
• Students can earn a BSc in Gaming Design & Development or New Media Interactive Development. Other programs include an MSc in Gaming Development & Design, Game Development & Design minor, or a Game Design minor.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Troy, New York
• Programs offered include Games and Simulation Arts and Sciences, Electronic Arts, Electronic Media, Arts, and Communication. Certificates in Graphics and Communication design are also available in addition to learning a degree.
DigiPen Institute of Technology
• Additional campuses in Washington, Spain, Bilbao, and Singapore
• Students may earn a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and Game Design, Computer Science in Real-Time Interactive Simulation, Digital Art and Animation, or Game Design. Master's programs are available in Digital Arts and Computer Science.